“Read Woke is a movement. It is a feeling. It is a style. It is a form of education. It is a call to action; it is our right as lifelong learners. It means arming yourself with knowledge in order to better protect your rights. Knowledge is power and no one can take it away. It means learning about others so that you can treat people with the respect and dignity that they deserve no matter their religion, race, creed, or color.
I concluded that a Woke Book must:
- Challenge a social norm
- Give voice to the voiceless
- Provide information about a group that has been disenfranchised
- Seek to challenge the status quo
- Have a protagonist from an underrepresented or oppressed group”
– Cicely Lewis, Creator of Read Woke
Find out more about Read Woke and how it started.
The Challenge is simple:
- Read a book from at least three of the 10 categories using our recommended reading lists for adults and teens between October 1, 2020 and November 30, 2020.
- Fill out and submit the entry form on this page by November 30, 2020.
If you’d like to receive email reminders about the Challenge, sign up for reminders on this page.
Expand your horizons by challenging yourself to think about other people, other places, or situations new to you. Not only will you educate yourself about others through deliberate, thoughtful reading, but you’ll also be entered to win a prize. Winners will be notified and announced on the Library’s Facebook page in early December 2020.